SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.86 issue4Hidrops fetalis due to atrial flutter: Case study author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand



Related links


Archivos de Pediatría del Uruguay

Print version ISSN 0004-0584On-line version ISSN 1688-1249


POSE1, Guillermo  and  ABDALA, Diego. Using neonatal echocardiography screening for early detection of congenital heart disease. Arch. Pediatr. Urug. [online]. 2015, vol.86, n.4, pp.309-312. ISSN 0004-0584.

Summary  Congenital heart diseases (CHD) have an incidence rate of approximately 5-10 CC per 1000 live newborns, 1/3 need surgery before the first month of life. One in every 10 newborns with CHD dies before the 1st year of life without diagnosis or with delayed diagnosis of CHD, and 25% of these die during the first week. There have been studies using pre and postductal oximetry measurements, resulting in positive screening saturation below 96%, with very satisfactory results. Colour Doppler echocardiography is the study that allows greater sensitivity and specificity and the one that rules out the presence of a heart condition in the neonatal stage. Objective: to check the high sensitivity and specificity of the study in our midst. To avoid a neonatal discharge without diagnosis of CHD in our sanatorium, third level facility and benchmark national in pediatric cardiology. Population and method: newborns whose birth or caesarean section had been done in Sanatorio Americano from June 2008 until July 2011 were admitted to the study and those who had no formal indication of echocardiography by another cause. (blow, prematurity, cyanosis, etc.) and also those that have accepted the study by signature of consent. Results: the number of patients admitted to the study was 307. 9 patients were found with patent ductus arteriosus (2.7% of the total) and 3 patients with atrial septal defect type ostium secundum, (1% of the total). Heart disease found (3.7% of the total), 12 total. Conclusions: approval rates among parents and treating pediatricians were excellent.


        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License